Story by Martin Barrett
Video by Jonathon Choe
In this video, you will hear and see the thoughts and experiences of someone in the trenches. Kristine Moreland provides a relational approach to Burien’s homeless epidemic that reaches beyond the bureaucracy.
Here are some key takeaways:
- This is a drug epidemic, not a housing crisis.
- You have to get people detoxed, clean, and in a safe place at the same time.
- Housing someone behind a closed door, as DESC does in their “Housing First” model, where they can just shoot up in private, is not going to help; it is not effective housing.
- Camps are a “predator heaven” for drug dealers and traffickers.
- Burien is a free-for-all and a magnet for the homeless around the region; they are not “local” Burien residents.
The results speak for themselves. Burien News is asking LEAD, Reach, and other government-funded organizations to share their results so we can compare outcomes. This matter is too important to play games or use for political positioning and vote-getting. We need to put funds where they can be effectively utilized. Lives are at stake!