- Highline School Board Summary: 10/5/22
Roll Call: 5 Directors (Garcia, Van, Howell, Alvarez, Hagos) and Superintendent (Dr. Duran) were present.
- Disability History Month- Director Howell read a statement about Disability History Month designated by the WA State Legislature.
- Family Involvement in Education Month — Director Alvarez read proclamation in both Spanish and English
- Anti-Bullying Month — Director Van read proclamation about Anti-Bullying
- Principal’s Appreciation Month- Superintendent Duran announced proclamation
- Patricia Bailey (School Climate) – Shared a school board testimony of a 15 year old boy in another district about his experiences being told all races and orientations matter except his own. Concern about equity not including his own race, which is white. The student left the district in order to get an education without inequitable treatment. Patty hoped this is not happening in our district, and that all students are being treated equally.
- Fred Swanson (Family Engagement) Praised Highline for work they are doing in race and identity curriculum and how it helped their family.
- James Payne (National School Board Association) Spoke about the National School Board memo which announced parents speaking up at school boards are domestic terrorism. Asked why the School Board Directors are not addressing this and acting in a way to support all constituents.
- Director Garcia noted that even though time ran out for one of the speakers, and the board members do not respond after speakers, further follow up comments, directed to the board members, are always welcome.
- Labor Partner Update – Highline Association of Washington School Principals, Robin Lamoureux, President – Spoke in appreciation for new superintendent, Principals taking part in Listening Tour, enjoyed opening schools post-pandemic, introduced some principals attending who are part of the Principals Association.
- Recognized Alex Haas, Principal of McMicken Heights Elementary – recognized by The National Association of Elementary School Principals as this year’s Washington State National Distinguished Principal, in Washington D.C.
- Enrollment Update — Becca Chen CFO. National trend is enrollment decline, and the Highline District reflects this. FTE (full time enrollees): 2021: 18,521. 2022:(Sept 23): 16,945 (NET LOSS – Approximately 1500 students).
- Listening Tour initiated: student focus groups; community meetings started Oct 6th.
School Board Reports:
- Legislative Report by Director Garcia
- WSSDA General Assembly voted on 2022 Legislative and Permanent positions. Board tasked with providing top 5 priorities for Highline (asked for input)
- Highline Forum last week, benefitting from the Port ‘s Community grants
- Attended 2022 Mayor Reception Hosted by Southside Chamber of Commerce
- Director Reports
- Director Howell, announced first Listening Session at Tyee, Oct 6th
- Director Hagos, announced new date for Listening Tour in District 5 – Nov 1st 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM
- Commented on Highly Capable Program – Pleased about language barriers being removed as an obstacle to enrollment in the Highly Capable Program
- Director Alvarez – reported about Seahurst Elementary Block Party and the great turnout and family engagement that occurred, celebration of Hispanic Heritage
- Director Van – invited community to his Listening Session, Oct 11th
- Thanked runners in the Oktoberfest run
- Director Garcia – Oct 15th – Evergreen High School Cultural Event and NW Symphony at HPAC
Consent Agenda: (ALL UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED 5-0)
- Approval of Minutes, September 21, 2022, Board Meeting
- Approval of Payroll Warrants and Accounts Payable Vouchers, Director Hagos and Director Howell
- Approval of Personnel Report (35) new hires; (9) resignations; (12) other
Action Items: (ALL UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED 5-0)
Motion to approve the new Maritime High School – Strong Launch and Program Development Federal Grant
Approved a federal grant of $1,050,000 for Maritime High School Strong Launch and Program Development.
Motion to approve annual contract with Everdriven, LLC for 2022-23 SY
Approved the annual contract with Everdriven, LLC for $500,000.00 to cover the cost of transportation service for the 2022-23 school year, to support our McKinney Vento students.
Motion to approve annual Highly Capable Students Program State Formula Grant 2022-23
Approved the Highly Capable state grant application and annual program plan for the 2022-23 school year.
Motion to approve annual Readiness to Learn Partnerships
Approved the Readiness to Learn Partnerships with Community in Schools, Choose 180 and Puget Sound Educational Service District.
Director Hagos – observed the program focused on Middle Schools and High Schools. Asked will there be focus on Elementary schools as well. Lita O’Donnell said several community partners are helping at the Elementary level, as well.
Motion to approve new purchase of district wide Promethean Boards for classrooms
Approval of this motion would approve the purchase of Promethean Boards in the amount of $439,000.63.
Director Van asked why we had to buy 75 more Promethean Boards when they already purchased 1,015 (for $5.6 million) earlier in the year. Answer, after project reevaluation, they found additional needs and spaces, plus additional training will be provided.
Motion to approve Resolution No. 14-22 for Certification of 2023 Excess Property Taxes Approval of this motion would approve Resolution No. 14-22 for Certification of 2023 Excess Property Taxes.
- Sandy Hunt – promoted the Proposal 1 – School Bond
Adjourned at 7:08pm
2022 REGIONAL Community Forum (“Listening Tour”)
- October 12 – District 1 (Director Garcia) – Evergreen HS Cafeteria – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Nov 1st – District 5 ( Director Hagos) – Mount Rainier HS Theater – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- October 17 – Community Forum – Virtual – 6-7 p.m.
- November 3 – Community Forum – Virtual – 6-7 p.m.
NEXT Meeting: October 19, 2022 – 6 PM
General Meeting Information:
- Highline School Board meetings are generally held the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month at 6pm at the Central Office Boardroom.
- Community members can give four minute verbal commentary in Scheduled Communications.
- Call the District Office at 206-631-3070 by 12:00 p.m. on the day of the meeting in order to be included on the agenda.
- Board Meetings can be viewed via Live stream highlineschools.org/boardlivestreams.